16 June 2010

Fietsen

Fietsen = to bike

I have a bike! And I can ride it, although the first tries were a little wobbly, and I had to lower the seat all the way. The first time riding on the street was scary, but I feel okay now, as long as I already know the route, and don't have to go through construction.

Some observations about biking.

1. Intersections are terrifying.
2. After not touching a bike for 10 years, it is inadvisable to do 3 miles a day for a week. It makes one's derriere hurt.
3. This town is really flat. The only hill I've been on is a man-made tunnel, and goes under the train tracks.
4. Ask the guy how the bike lock works, so you don't spend 15 minutes feeling stupid next to your bike the first time you park it.
5. Telling a Dutch bike salesman that you haven't ridden a bike for 10 years renders him speechless. Even when you've clarified you aren't from around here.
6. The Dutch are the tallest people in the world. This means there are very few bikes of an appropriate size for a shorter than average American woman.
7. As a glasses-wearer, riding in the rain is scary. The droplets get on the glasses and visibility is severely compromised.
8. I don't like hearing the motorized bikes coming up behind me.
9. I can't yet signal my turns, because I get all wobbly if I take one hand off the handlebars. I suspect this is not the reason for the other 70% of people who don't signal their turns.
10. Riding a bike has shortened my commute by 20 minutes each way. This is awesome.


1 comment:

  1. Perhaps they need to revise the "it's just like riding a bike" adage.

    ReplyDelete