15 July 2010

Another List

I'm tired, hormonal, and headachey. These are probably all related. So, because writing lists is easy, and I can only read so many papers about convection schemes at a time, I offer you a list of random little things I miss about Kansas. Or the USA in general.

1. Mt Dew.
The official drink of Howe Hall seems unavailable over here. There's less soda in general, which might explain it. Or, possibly, the fact that it's really really corrosive, even by soda standards. The (usually free) coffee machines in all the break rooms might also contribute to the lack of this particularly effective caffeine delivery system.
2. Cheddar and Colby Jack cheese.
Cheddar is imported from England, in the larger groceries, but it's expensive. And while there are approximately eleventy bajillion cheeses here, I don't know which names go with which flavors yet.
3. The Wichita local farmer's market.
I liked knowing that everything was produced locally and super duper fresh. Also, I really miss the bison roasts and emu steaks. Those were tasty. I haven't seen heirloom tomatoes here yet either, although I suspect I just have to go to a bigger market to find them.
4. American shoe and clothing sizes.
I have to guess a lot to find things that fit. Someone should standardize this system worldwide.
5. Consistently placed street signs.
A lot of street signs are on buildings here, especially for the little alley streets. Some streets don't seem to have signs at all, and some are on posts on corners like I'm used to. This makes finding where I'm going a challenge if all I have are google directions.
6. Having a sous chef when I'm cooking.
R likes chopping vegetables. I don't.
7. SuperTarget.
Much as I like to buy local, for housewares I like knowing that it'll be there. I still haven't found a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment