02 August 2010

Taking the bus

I went to work in Utrecht today, since I have a meeting on Thursday, my usual day out of town. It takes me two trains and a bus ride each way to get there. The trains are always pleasant, and great knitting time, but I could live without the bus ride. Not that it's horrible or anything, but you have to pay better attention to which stop you're at and it can get pretty crowded.

Today, however, the bus was fantastic. The chipkart reading thingy was broken on both buses I took, so I got to ride free each way, for starters. On the bus home, I put my card up to the reader machine, and nothing happened. The bus driver said "Beep beep!" and smiled. It took me a minute to figure out, but he was making the card read noise and communicating I could get on the bus, in like the silliest way possible. I laughed.

I had to stand on the bus, because the between 17:00 and 18:00 buses are always crowded. At the next stop, an elderly woman who totally reminded me of my Grandma got on. You could only tell she was older by her hair and her skin; her stance and body language were very young.

Now, the bus driver's sense of whimsy seemed to extend to his driving as well. Or maybe he was trying to find out just how little space the bus needed to stop, or something. After the first stop where everyone who was standing nearly fell over, the guy sitting next to me tapped the older woman and asked if she wanted his seat. She refused, and really looked like she was having a great time with the balancing on the ride of insanity, but it made me happy that this random guy thought to ask. Warm fuzzies on a bus ride, who knew?

2 comments:

  1. Do like the crazy bus driver. Reminds me of a time in Ames that the pull cords weren't working, so a passenger decided to yell "Bing!" when his stop came up.

    Seems strange to say it, but I kinda miss public transit being a reasonable way to get around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love public transit! Or maybe I just hate driving, because I like biking to work too.

    ReplyDelete