15 September 2010

Wheels

I am still suprised by how much I missed biking while I was in the States. It's so much more fun than driving places, and today was perfect weather for it. Granted, that time I got caught in a sudden, very cold, downpour, I did wish for a car, but overall I really like the bike better. There's something very satisfying to me about moving under my own power, and it's a really relaxing way to get around, while still being a decent light cardio activity. If I get lost, it's much easier to turn around and try again than in a car, parking is certainly easier, and it's a nice way to exercise without exercising. I've never enjoyed walking on a treadmill or using a stationary bike, because it seems so pointless. I mean, it's kind of silly to walk 4 miles to nowhere, when you could walk 2 miles to somewhere and back again. I really like how biking everywhere incorporates bits of exercise into my day without making it about exercise. It can be hard to stay motivated to go to the gym; it's easy to bike to work and shops and back, because how else will I get there? It's quicker to bike than take public transport from my apartment. I'm not terribly concerned about cold temperatures, because winter is pretty mild here, and I have wool socks and merino scarves and I'm planning on alpaca gloves. Next spring, I'm planning to try out some of the country bike trails, and see how I do on longer rides. This place is covered in bike paths, and taking my bike up to the tulip fields to ride through them sounds particularly appealing.

Note: Photos taken by W when he and MM came to visit. Top photo is MM and I biking, bottom photo is my bike, which is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment