25 April 2010

Living Space

Having spent 98 € at IKEA, I have my room all set up now. By "all" I mean the suitcases are unpacked and put away, and their contents are not longer on the floor. I still need another electrical plug adapter (or two, or five) and my new IKEA shelves (E was looking for reasons to procrastinate, and drove me there! The long shelf just barely fit in her car.) are still pretty empty. I'd like to get something to put on the walls, a better jewelry containment system, and some plants for the windowsill and highest shelf. Having spaces to hold stuff is way better than before though, so we'll start with this.

First of all, I'm pretty impressed by how much storage space I've achieved for such a tiny room. The closet was quite well designed, with 5 shelves and hanger space. It's holding my (admittedly small) wardrobe, all 4 pairs of shoes, the camera bag, most of my yarn, a suitcase and a small box of misc stuff. There's a large storage area above the closet (we have very high ceilings) that I share with E's room which is holding the other two suitcases. Very helpful. We have a storage space somewhere in this building too, so I could move the suitcases down there if I need more space later.

It's weird planning a room when I don't know how long I'm staying. Ideally, the house in KS will sell and R will be able to move within the next 6 months, at which point, it hardly makes sense to acquire a ton of decorative things now, because I'll just have to move them again. But if I end up here for longer, I want my room to feel like my space. Fluid planning keeps life interesting, but it certainly makes simple things more complicated!

No comments:

Post a Comment