25 April 2010

Some random observations

1. It's much more pleasant walking through parking lots when all the cars are small.
2. Grocery shopping in a language you don't speak is challenging, especially at the open-air market.
3. A "short walk" here is much longer than a "short walk" in the states. The expectation that you would walk or bike to the market that's 2 km away is pretty motivating though, and it was a really nice walk.
4. Sidewalk construction projects get done really fast. Particularly strange is that I've never seen anyone actually working on the sidewalk, but each day the project has progressed about 20m farther.
5. Coffee breaks are sacred. That's awesome.
6. They sometimes serve free alcohol at university-sponsored events. A lot of it.
7. I should have brought my farmer's market bag with me, since the ubiquitous plastic grocery bag is pretty absent here. Luckily, my purses are big.
8. Having a roommate (F) who has lived in town for 11 years is very helpful. She gives excellent directions.
9. Stores are closed on Sundays, so I have nothing to do today but relax. Also awesome.
10. The cure for boredom with two blue knitting projects is apparently varigated taupe-to-orange socks.
11. The members of my department are very excited to finally have a native English speaker on the team.
12. I get irrationally frustrated when I can't understand Dutch, and apparently think I should have learned it in about 2 days here. I realize this is silly.
13. My Pakistani roommate (S) makes really really delicious food.
14. E's cat, Pasha, is the only animal I've ever met that is as obsessed with people food as Parents 1.0's dog.
15. I am apparently very approachable (or look like I know where I'm going) because people keep stopping me to ask for directions. I have yet to be able to help anyone.
16. I really like the lack of pickups and SUVs. It makes walking along streets seem much safer. Also, it's easier to see street signs.
17. The auto train ticket stands don't work with American cards. They require the fancy new kind with a microchip.
18. Pasha very much likes merino/silk yarn, and spent an hour sleeping on it.
19. I need better shoes. Or to get used to walking so much.
20. There's a website that plans routes for you based on public transportation. It's the best thing ever. Except for having access to public transportation in the first place, which is even better.
21. Kids play outside by themselves here, with no adults in sight. I like that, but it's disorienting.
22. It's hard to think in math after a year of unemployment. Satisfying though.
23. There's an IKEA here. S and I are going, because we both need furniture. I'm excited, and already know what I want to get.
24. Skype cannot register a clear image of Quasar. All the fuzziness screws up the webcam.
25. Everyone I've met so far has been really nice. The first question I get is "How did you get here?!?!" followed by "Where are you from?" and then "Corn, right? and Wizard of Oz?" At least they haven't asked if I grow potatoes, which makes them more conversant with US geography than several coastal Americans I've met.
26. Happy birthday to the lovely AH!

No comments:

Post a Comment